What is a Book Blurb?
Blurb, most commonly known as book back description, is promotional content accompanied by creative work. A blurb introduces the book’s story and is one of the essential parts of a book. It may not sound like an indispensable element of your book, but it is one of the most crucial components for book publishing and marketing.
Why Are Blurbs Important?
Though there is a famous saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover”, not many practice it. Apart from the book cover, title, and author, blurb plays a significant role in the reader’s buying decision. How much ever-interesting plots your novel may have? If your blurb doesn’t convey the storyline efficiently, there are chances for the reader not to pick your book. A blurb has the power to make or break your book.
Five Things to Keep in Mind When Writing a Book Blurb
Summarizing the entire story within 200 words is not a child’s play. Consider the following five elements while writing a book blurb.
Start Writing Your Blurb with a Bang
The first line of your blurb is probably the first-ever line prospective buyers will read in your novel. The first impression is the best, so ensure that the blurb’s first line is innovative, intelligent, and engaging. It doesn’t matter if you are introducing the antagonist first or the protagonist, all which matters is the first line of your blurb to be exciting.
You can start the blurb with a quote or a question or the vital conversation plot. However, the blurb you write must create curiosity in the reader’s minds and instigate the buying decision.
Blurb is Not a Place to Introduce Your Characters, Instead Discuss-Book Publishing
Blurb is not a place for you to introduce your characters in the book. You can always introduce the characters in the initial chapters of the book. The blurb must talk about the characters, what they go through and other intriguing and vital information.
Avoid Giving Away Spoilers in Blurb
How much ever it tempts you, don’t give away any spoilers in the blurb. For example, if there is something that the readers won’t know from the first three chapters of the novel, then it should not be mentioned in the blurb. Instead, play with words to increase curiosity while ensuring no twists, even if they are insignificant.
Don’t Disappoint Your Readers – Book Publishing
To keep your blog, intriguing doesn’t mean you have to mislead the readers with false information or facts about the book. As an author, you have the freedom to play with words to keep the plot interesting, but be honest about your book when you write the blurb.
Ensure that the blurb doesn’t sound generic. Instead, it should be directed to the target audience. For example, just because your crime thriller has some romantic elements, you can’t dress it up as a romantic story in the blurb.
End the Blurb with a Bang
Starting and ending the blurb with a bang is what a great author should do. Once you have created a curiosity among the readers and have mentioned intriguing information or facts about the story, you must know where to stop.
In Book-Publishing, End your blurb with a nice, solid and unsubtle cliffhanger so that your readers will want to read more. Ending your blurb with a question or a potential danger in the plot or any high-intensity drama can be significant.
Tips to Write an Exceptional Book Blurb
Writing book blurbs is not a child’s play, and it is not for everyone. The following tips, on the other hand, might assist you in writing an outstanding book blurb.
- After writing thousands of words, it can be intimidating for you as a writer to summarise the plot in a mere 150 – 200 words without giving away any spoilers. However, you can always get the help of a professional editor when it comes to writing a blurb.
- Before writing a blurb for your book, read sample blurbs of as many books as possible in your genre. Go through the blurbs of the most rated and best-selling books so that you can get an idea of how to create a positive impact on the target readers.
- Keep writing until you are satisfied. “I just wrote one blurb for my book, and it is perfect,” said no author ever. Nobody gets it the first time. You need to re-write it ‘n’ number of times to make it exceptional.
- Keep your sentences short, as most readers will skin through the blurbs. However, to entice your readers, you need to ensure that your blurb has precise sentences.
- You can always use one of the quotes or dialogue you have written in your novel that you feel is eye-catching in book-publishing.
Final Thoughts-Book Publishing
As much as book covers entice readers, blurbs enthrall buyers and persuade them to purchase books. That’s why you need to write a compelling book blurb, especially if you are self publishing your book. Once you comprehend the elements and tips to consider, writing a decent eBook blurb may be simple. So, what’s preventing you right now from coming up with your own?